- Technology and Education: IIT and YouTube have tied up to post video lectures for undergraduate engineering courses online.
- According to a WHO survey, the Indian workforce is on the whole pretty unhealthy. 47% of workers were overweight while 27% suffered from hypertension.
- Abhijit Banerjee, an economist from MIT, said that the country’s maternal and child health is worse than that of Sub-Saharan Africa. As a result, nearly half of the country’s children aged below five will suffer from stunted growth.
- Economic Development: A World Bank study revealed that Orissa has made a positive fiscal turnaround in the last six years and lifted 3 million people out of poverty.
- Education: With a view to harness skill potential across the country 1,500 more Industrial Training Institutes (ITIs) and 50,000 Skills Development Centres will be set up under the proposed ‘Skills Development Mission’ of the Government of India. [Source: iGovernment]
Filed under: Education, Employment, Government, Health, Research | Tagged: Abhijit Banerjee, Education, IIT, ITI, maternal and child health, MIT, Orissa, vocational training, WHO, workforce health, World Bank, YouTube |