You daily dose of headlines:
- Health, Women and Mortality:The lack of inclusion of midwives within the National Rural Health Mission is highlighted as one of the main reasons for the high maternal mortality rate in India.
- Education: Wada Na Todo Abhiyan (WNTA) continued to push the government to pass the Right to Education Bill.
- Public Awareness: Swagat Thorat, a freelance journalist, has started a new magazine in braille for the visually impaired.
- CSR: The government is looking to establish a corporate affairs institute that will look at various practices, including corporate social responsibility. In related news, the government has awarded the Rural Electrification Corporation with the Navrtna award honoring its ongoing work in expanding access to electricity to the rural poor.
- Microinsurance: IFFCO-TOKIO General Insurance Co. Ltd. (ITGI) has created a new microinsurance product that targets India’s low income rural population.
Filed under: Government, Microfinance, Uncategorized | Tagged: Braille, corporate affairs institute, Health, IFFCO-TOKIO General Insurance Co. Ltd. (ITGI), National Rural Health Mission, right to education, WNTA, women | Leave a comment »